Friday, January 20, 2012

Eating Disorders in South Korea

One of my jobs is teaching English to South Koreans over the phone. Ever since their government eased up on regulations regarding Western products, TV shows, movies, music, etc., there has been an increasing pressure to be thin.

Many Koreans believe to be hireable (is that a word?) or able to find a spouse, your weight is an important determinant. Depressing, eh?

It's like saying the number of hairs on your head is a determinant for getting hired! "You only have 50,000 hairs on your head? Don't call us, we'll call you."

Ridiculous, no?

One of the lessons is "Diet" and my students often say, "I'm trying to lose my weight." At this point I struggle with correcting their English or unhealthy cognitions. Hmm...keep my job or plant the seed of awareness that weight is as ridiculous a determiner of self-worth as the number of hairs on your head!

I try to do both as I still need to put bread on the table. ;)

5 comments:

yura said...

I wish you all the best in recovery. :') I'm a Korean American living in Korea with an eating disorder, but I honestly believe it has nothing to do with society's pressure. I found your blog while searching for an article that would stop talking about eating disorders like diets, but no luck. Again, wishing you all the best in recovery. <3

Unknown said...


Hi,

Was just wondering around is several sites and landed up in your wonderful blog. I was Bulimic, recovered a few years back but still fighting to avoid a relapse. To keep myself engaged I maintain a Bulimia help site.
Just want to say your readers that : "Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient and the best things come to those who DON'T GIVE UP" . Please let me know if I can be of any help of yours to help our friends battle eating disorders.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Korea, and in need of English-speaking counselling or support groups for my eating disorders. Do you have any information? I've been googling my heart out trying to find anything.

A is for... said...

Hi anonymous.:)
Try this site: http://ahskorea.com/counsel/counseling-services
I wish you the best! Keep fighting for recovery because you're worth it!

A is for... said...

Thank you Yura and Siddhartha! You both are worth recovery so never ever stop fighting!